Singapore football. My dream; world cup qualification and doing far better than our Asian neighbours, Japan and South Korea.
We were never far away until the late mid-90s where Japan and South Korea's football development took off to another platform altogether, leaving us to bite their dust of their trails. I see dedication, commitment, focus, motivation, goal driven mind-set in our neighbours. Do we have all that I have mentioned? Results force me to say a big fat no.
I have known players, friends, acquaintances throughout my primary and secondary school education, who are real talents. In poly and university, I see far less because most of the good ones have stopped playing. Those that are still playing are likely those that has always been casual players trying to play it seriously in a casual non competitive environment. Then these boys start "fights" wear expensive gear and try to live a dream of being able to play a football match
In primary school, even rosyth, a non-footballing school, I had known friends who if nurtured properly, can be at least a J-league player. In secondary school, I come from the north zone, where we have a very decent lot of schools with good football teams. I saw opponents, friends, acquaintances who are "damn good talents" If all of us had been properly schooled, I tell you, we would have placed Singapore not just on the global economic map but the football world map as well. We have that good talents but no culture and no drive for us to be nurtured to the next level
We only have fandi ahmad to shout about, named best 11 of the century for dutch first division club FC Groningen. All we need is one Ajax Football Academy equivalent and we are set! Eng Teck could have played for J league, Han Rong, Spanish league, Shawn Leow dutch/spanish league, Rudy J league, Chai Su J league, Marco Spanish league, Louis Spanish league, Rosli Spanish league, Siva Spanish league, Weiquan Spanish league, Dwayne Spanish league, kevin peeris Spanish league, Benjamin Spanish league, fengtai j league, sophian Spanish league, alfian j league, yi tian dutch league jin nan j league bakti Spanish league and many many more. These were real talents in primary and secondary school.
Why cant we spend to build Singapore's very own Ajax Football Academy? That will be the day.....
No comments:
Post a Comment