Monday, March 30, 2015

First Article 30/03/15

If I recall, this will be my very first article. I am penning my thoughts a day after my LKY had passed on. For so long, we have been or I have been clouded with the daily grind of fear and insecurities. Of what? Of my job, of not having enough money in the future. What I have realised after viewing some past history of LKY, he had been preaching to me about frugality and working hard for survival ever since the days of pre-independence. The gist was the same, never take for granted the things you have, rather appreciate and continue to strive.


But LKY, it is very stifling to keep going on and on, I come from a spoilt generation, I am 37 this year. If I feel I belong to a spoilt generation, then the generations after me, I dare not say further. I just want to say that amidst the daily grind. Your passing serves as a timely reminder for me, as a person, to refocus, to readjust, to realign my values in life. That is to raise my head up and continue the life journey to fight to be a Singaporean.


It is a bit different now, I feel that I am fighting for a place that is my home. I feel that if I do not fight, I will lose my place as a citizen. You said in the unions, no Singaporean who wants to help themselves will ever lose his her place in our country. Does it still hold true now in 2015? I see myself fearing for the worst. In the past, we fought to survive, to make ends meet, we fought to have jobs. In the present, we fight to survive....against foreign workers, to make ends meet....against foreign workers, we fight to have jobs.....against foreign workers. Top foreign workers to low level foreign workers, we are fighting, I am fighting. I will live with the spirit that you have encouraged us in your lifetime....to fight the good fight for I am Singaporean.


I hope my Singapore knows that and that Singapore will hold true to your spirit....no Singaporean will lose his her place in Singapore. Foreign investors have the right to hire whoever they want otherwise it may be goodbye Singapore, I will not invest here. But as a Singaporean, I must fight so that foreign investors will want to hire a Singaporean. Local investors will want to hire a Singaporean. I want to do my part to make that happen. Singaporeans have been branded as picky, asking for sky high salaries. I am not one of them and because I am not one of them, I hope my Singapore understands that and will encourage companies to hire Singaporean.



No comments:

Post a Comment